In the framework of the implementation of the current legislative (article 18 § 7 of Law 4830/2021 / Οfficial Gazette A' 169/18.09.2021), passengers traveling with a Companion, Therapy or Assistance animal must necessarily declare the animal during the reservation / issuance of their tickets, in order to be recorded in the electronic reservation system and issue a free of charge ticket.
Ticket issuing on board is not allowed, therefore, to avoid unnecessary inconvenience, passengers must make reservations and ticket issuing in time.
In order to be able to register the animals, the issuing of tickets for them is mandatory and the ticket must carry the following information:
- "Animal Health Book Number or Passport Number"
- "Animal Marking Number"
- "Category of Animal" (eg Companion, Therapy, Assistance) *
- "Animal Size" (Large > 10 Kg or Small <= 10 Kg)
In addition, passengers / owners of the animal should always carry their recently updated health record and be responsible for their care, safety and hygiene during the journey.
According to European Parliament's and Council's Regulation (EU) No. 576/2013, each passenger may travel with maximum 5 pets owned by the passenger, they must be fully vaccinated and each one must have its own health booklet. Please note that the maximum number per booking is 5 pets.
The vessels have special cabins (PET cabins) as well as special accommodation areas for pets. The maximum number per PET cabin, is 2 pets.
Excluded are FLYING DOLPHIN ships, where the transport of pets is only allowed in a small pet carrier up to 10 kg.
For reasons of public hygiene, pets are not allowed in cabins (other than the specially designated PET cabins), bars, restaurants and the ship’s indoor public areas. When walking on the open deck, they are required to wear muzzle, be on a leash and accompanied by a guardian.
Special areas for the pets’ daily hygiene are available on board (except for FLYING DOLPHIN ships).
Unaccompanied pets are not accepted for embarkation.
* It is clarified that based on Law 4830/2021 / Official Gazette Issue A' 169/18.09.2021 (Article 2 § 3, 4 & 5), it refers to:
3. "Pet": any animal kept or intended to be kept by humans mainly in their homes, for reasons of animal welfare. If articles of this law refer to specific companion animals, such as dogs and cats, then these are expressly mentioned. Assistance dogs, working dogs, and therapy animals are also companion animals. Wild animals cannot be kept as pets.
4. "Controlled companion animal": the companion animal that has an owner. Direct descendants of a controlled dog or cat are automatically defined as controlled animals owned by the owner of the female sire.
5.“Stray pet”: the pet that does not have an owner.